Friday, March 10, 2006

Movie Review -- The 40 Year Old Virgin


So, as you might realize, I've been in a foul mood these past few days. To cheer myself up, the other night I thought I'd find a movie about someone whose love life is even more pathetic than mine. And I found it, in The 40 Year Old Virgin. Last year's smash comedy, starring Steve Carell, tells the very funny (but also very touching) tale of a somewhat nerdy guy (okay, very nerdy guy) named Andy who has somehow remained a virgin at the age of 40. He befriends a bunch of rowdy coworkers who make it their mission to get him devirginized.

I knew that I'd find it funny, or strongly suspected as virtually everyone who's seen it says it's hilarious. It did not disappoint me in this regard, however what did surprise me is that the movie has a lovely heart that makes it a good funny movie instead of just a funny movie. Carell's Andy has his pathetic moments but more than anything, he is entirely likeable and sympathetic. I didn't so much seem him as a loser but more as a guy who just hasn't figured things -- life and love and intimacy and human connection -- out.

And who amongst us can't relate to that?

His friends are a raunchy bunch, but are also likeable fellows who slowly accept him for who he is (in spite of still wanting him to "get a life!") We all want Andy to "score" but we want him to do it without sacrificing his integrity in the process. We want him to face his insecurities like a real man, with the hope that he can find who he really is.

And I must confess, I even cried. Just a little. (But maybe that's because I was in the bathtub drinking vodka and thinking that when they make the movie of my life it'll be entitled: The 34 Year Old non-Virgin Who's Slept With Waaaaaayyyyy Too Many Men But Still Can't Find A Connection. But that's another story.)

I give it four big stars!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this review! I have been on the fence about renting this movie. The clips I've seen made it seem a bit too corny for my liking. But you've made me want to see it. Perhaps tonight.

1:06 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I really really liked it. It's funny and corny (and at times almost too sweet) but much better than I thought it would be.

3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally agree with you...the 2nd half was much more sappy & sweet than i had anticipated. fun movie!

3:20 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Isn't it nice to be surprised by a movie like this?

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loooooved it. I saw it three times in a week, and find myself being the annoying quoter at random moments. I thought it dragged on a teeny bit at the end, but is all in all a funny, fun flick.

9:23 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Yes, I think it drags because it shifts in tone so drastically -- from a crude comedy into a romantic comedy. But still worth it.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home