Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscar, Oscar!

A few highlights:
Best dress. This may change in the next few days, but for now: Felicity Huffman looked simply stunning! Loved the dress -- from the cleavage to the hemline. She looked great in it and was clearly so proud and happy to be there.

Best line of the night was Jon Stewart: Martin Scorcese...zero Oscars. Three 6 Mafia...one.

Best win: Well, duh! Philip Seymour Hoffman!

Best upset: Crash for best picture. I had secretly predicted this a few weeks ago, kept getting into arguments with D about it, was pained to be in a room filled with gay men when Brokeback didn't win. But I was glad!

Best bad-ass cowboy moment: Larry McMurtry for wearing JEANS and cowboy boots!


Worst dress (for now): I really really wanted to like Naomi Watts's dress. I tried. But any dress that makes a woman as much in need of a cheeseburger as Watts look like she has big hips (and makes her look pregnant, which I don't think she is) is a problem. Plus, this one looks like a 3-year-old took a pair of scissors to it. And there was something strange about her face, either too little powder or too much valium. She just looked odd. Sorry, Naomi.

Saddest not-win: Neither Michelle Williams nor Matt Dillon (my two favorites) won. I so thought that one of them might upset the frontrunner. But they both looked pretty happy (well, Michelle will soon end up on my worst dress list, though her hair and make-up were fab).

Worst plastic surgery victim: Dolly Parton. Does this really need explaining?

6 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

The colour of Michelle Williams dress was just awful. Very few people can wear orange, and she is not one of them. A shame, since the style of the dress looked OK, but the colour was just appalling (and was all you really noticed about the dress)

3:27 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Yeah, I agree. It was a bold risk, but it just didn't work for me (though I thought she looked lovely -- very simple but elegant hair and make-up; and she and Heath are too cute for words).

3:31 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

I'm curious: what did you think of Jon Stewart as the host this year? (since you are the Oscars resident expert)

4:32 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Oh, I thought he was hilarious! I always love Billy Crystal (cheesy but I love him) but Jon was a nice, new angle for a host.

4:40 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I couldn't believe Dolly Parton. She's worse than that Jacelyn Wichtenstein (sp?). Why?! She turned herself into a caricature of herself and it's so sad.

That was the funniest line!

Jon Steward didn't push my buttons as host, but overall a very good Oscars.

6:11 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Dolly didn't even look human anymore. Kind of tragic.

I loved Ziyi Zhang, too. She was so elegant.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home