Monday, June 26, 2006

Unreal

A couple of weeks ago, I met this real estate guy at the dog park and made the grave mistake of telling him that I *might* be contemplating buying an apartment in the near future (that's a pretty might-y *might* as this is San Francisco and everything's way way way expensive). Well, pretty much every day since then, he approaches me with another real estate gem.

Today he hands me a brochure for a studio in a pretty crappy neighborhood. No parking. No real storage. Starting at the bargain price of $258,000 (a STEAL in San Francisco) I can get 260 square feet. That's a 16 x 16 foot room to house my kitchen, bathroom, closet (oh, the shoes alone), books (I currently have 5 bookshelves), bed, workspace, living space, dog, etc. etc. I figure the entire studio would be about 1/3 of my current apartment.

I mean, I could probably afford the starting price, but c'mon. Give me a break.

Oh, studios with lofts (which pretty much looks like storage space, not sleep space) start at $335,000 and quickly enter the $400s, and one-bedrooms start at $441,000.

10 Comments:

Blogger Check me out: said...

i think you could make it work. if you were an ewok.

11:25 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I could do the zenlike thing and get rid of all of my books, clothes, furniture, dishes. Then me and the dog (and the bird) could sit in the middle of our very-own 16 x 16 room and drink 2-Buck Chuck (as we'd have no money to do anything besides sit in an empty room with cheap wine).

11:36 AM  
Blogger Check me out: said...

this apartment is showing for $258,000. yes, that's a steal in San Francisco. i know you might be taken aback, but think of it as we're giving you more than just 260 square feet. now i know what you're thinking - how can someone live like that? well, it's what we call "economical living". or, as the scientists have deemed it, "living with zen". it's getting yourself in touch with your minimalist self. it's using just enough to get by. it's getting rid of your expensive clothes to make space for what's really important - like pots and pans. it's getting back to the way things were - like in jamestown. really, it's a steal, if you look at it our way.

sign right here.

and here.

12:03 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Who even needs pots & pans when there's delivery!?!

12:06 PM  
Blogger Check me out: said...

you can't have anything delivered. where would you put the excess plastic bags, packets of soy sauce and the plastic tables that keep the cheese from your pizza from hitting the top of your box?

where would you?

you wouldn't throw them away immediately.

nay, you're gonna have to cook.

don't fight it.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Geez... there really is no incentive to buy an apartment at those prices, is there?

6:04 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Yeah, jules. It's ridiculous. For years now, the only place that's more expensive than San Francisco is Manhattan. You'd think wages would even things out, but nope. Not even close.

6:48 PM  
Blogger A Novelist said...

Oh my...and I thought NYC was bad...LOL! Wow!

2:57 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Sheesh---that my friend is pricey!

And all hail 2 Buck-Chuck--which is 3 Buck Chuck in most parts of the country.

Is there a date in the near future...or just more real estate pamphlets?

9:37 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

A date? With real estate guy? Nope. Gay. Sigh. Where's that wine?

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home