Wednesday, June 21, 2006

How to get the guy, part deux

As I've been overwhelmed with my own dating disabilities (well, and also simulateously -- and perhaps somewhat ironically -- I have somehow acquired a life), I've gotten behind on my television. Last night, I finally got a chance to watch episode two in this season's trainwreck of a TV show, How To Get The Guy. And I must say, while the show is still a disaster filled with cliches and archaic advice, Monday's episode had one redeeming segment. Literally, the women went on blind dates. The women (and their dates) were blindfolded and then had a 3-course dinner date with two different men; for course one, one of the men sat with them, and for course two, the second man came in. The women had to choose which man they preferred for a blindfold-free dessert.

Not surprisingly, the women were stunned by the results. One of them (the "free spirit") picked a guy who was the opposite of the "type" she normally goes out with; he's a Jersey guy who's a bit rough around the edges and definitely not the earthy, new-agey character she typically goes out with.

Okay, the show is still summer-filler-fluff-garbage, but it got me thinking that, logistics aside (for how many of us walk through life with literal blindfolds on, as opposed to metaphoric ones), this is an excellent way to meet, really meet, potential partners, as so much of what we base our decisions on amounts to nothing. It's an obvious concept, dating blindly, and yet still so often we're rejected (or we reject) because we don't meet a certain "type."

And it's not at all surprising that so many of us -- in spite of how much we might complain about our situation and claim to have open minds -- are still alone.

4 Comments:

Blogger Check me out: said...

i think that's mostly because people are self-blinded into looking for a certain type to complement them. but actually, it's all about finding someone who makes them feel something special.

it's two completely different things.

11:22 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

It's funny. I "met" this guy via craigslist, and we were exchanging funny, smart, compatible e-mails, and he asked for a picture. I sent him one, and his response was, "You're cute, but you're not my 'type' so no thanks."

Now, I suppose he could have thought I was butt ugly and was just being nice, but assuming otherwise, I wrote him back and said, "If we have so much in common and you think I'm cute, why on earth are you rejecting me based on one photo? It's no wonder we're in our 30s, unable to meet anyone."

He wrote back and asked for a one-night-stand. Pathetic.

I think that's the #1 reason I HATE on-line dating in general. It's ALL about the photo, the type.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Check me out: said...

what madness have you wroth, craig newmark.

12:52 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Yeah, I don't think Craig knew what he was getting himself into! (Not that he's complaining, I'm sure.)

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home