Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Simply Divine

One moment.

You know how there are those lists of 100 (or 1,000 or 10,000 or a million) things you must do before you die? At the top of the list -- or at the top of my list, anyway -- reads: Snorkel the Great Barrier Reef.

I have to say that exploring it today outside of Cairns might just be one of the most divinely beautiful experiences of my life (this from a woman who isn't much of a believer in anything divine). I can't describe it, explain it, even really remember it (and I have no pictures outside of my mind). It's just wow and more wow. I'm not much of an ocean gal, having grown up at the base of the Rocky Mountains where huge bodies of water were nonexistent, but like so many people, the oceanic world is filled with such mystery and intrigue, and I feel damn lucky to have been able to glimpse even a microcosm of it today.

Like I should thank the fish who were kind enough to share it with me. Because in some way, I think they would understand.

4 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Oh wow - I must do this. So happy you loved it.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Fantastic! I'm so glad that you had such a magical experience on the Reef. I was worried that the recent cyclone might have made the water too murky.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Also... I got the postcard you sent me yesterday - thank you so much! A very pleasant surprise!

6:40 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I did make it down to see some of the damage from the Cyclone, which was tragic. But Cairns seemed untouched.

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home