Friday, March 31, 2006

Friday Night in Melbourne

I arrived last night from Launceston, Tasmania to the chaos of a huge city. After spending a week in essential solitude, such a crazy city (in spite of its being pretty mellow) has been overwhelming. But I'm staying with my friend, T, and she convinced me (well, it didn't take much convincing; I think the conversation went like this -- T: Wanna go out drinking? Me: Okay) to go bar hopping.

We met up with a couple of her friends in the city at a typical Melbourne bar: Small, crowded, and in some side alleyway that nobody but locals know exists. We had a few drinks and then wound up at a Salsa club.

I don't dance. But I do flirt. And apparently, because I was wearing a Scottish pageboy hat, I was an easy target for Sydney businessmen. The crowd kept growing, and T and I (and her friend D, a very sweet male) wound up with many suitors, all getting increasingly drunk but all pretty much harmless (and buying us drinks, so that's not a bad thing!)

Highlights of the evening:

I was offered one job in Sydney because "You're so hot!!!" Don't get excited, Julia...I turned down offered job when I couldn't negotiate salary or three months paid vacation.

I also received two offers to "Come upstairs and check out my bathtub" from two very-different Sydney men: The first, the type I wouldn't mind going to dinner with, but definitely wasn't drunk enough to rip off his clothes; the second, the type I would have boinked in my 20s but who screamed, "I may be hitting on you but I have a girlfriend at home!!!!!" and who I tend to stay away from in my 30s (T confirmed this morning that he does, in fact, have a girlfriend in Sydney).

Eating Greek lamb sandwiches at 3 a.m. when we couldn't find access to meat pies. Went to bed full, dehydrated, and quite tipsy. Now at 2:30 p.m., after being awoken by the whirl of the Grand Prix races outside (don't ask) we're slowly trying to get ready to escape to the Great Ocean Road. Will report back with the Thelma & Louise details in a few days!

3 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

Yep, this is a night out with T... to the T!

1:52 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

And you go an extra hour of sleep on Sat night when the clocks turned back from daylight savings - fabulous!

Give my friend S. a call (I gave you his contact details, didn't I?) and he'll happily take you to a bar where you can literally dance on the bar.

8:17 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Back from our road trip! Will hopefully have some pics I can post soon!

Jules -- I hope I'll have time to meet up with him. We took a couple of extra days for our road trip, so I'm a bit pressed for time. But I think I still have his info.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home