Wednesday, March 22, 2006

What a coincidence!

Today I took the train to the Blue Mountains, a couple of hours west of Sydney. Having spent a couple of days in the fast-paced, exciting city, it was perfect to escape to see some of the natural beauty of Australia. After arriving in the touristy but still charming Katoomba for a quick, deliciously-crusted meat pie (don't even get me started on my obsession to find the perfect meat pie; that's another post entirely) I walked through town to enter the national park, first stopping to snap a photo (along with 394,957 other tourists) of the Three Sisters before fleeing from the mob of people to go for a nice afternoon hike.

I had just found my way out of the crowd and was starting to descend the Giant Stairway when I spotted two young American women I had seen at the airport upon arrival in Sydney.

"Hello!" I called out brightly, as always thrilled to recognize familiar faces when travelling solo. "I saw you gals at the airport the other morning."

They looked at me with the innocent eyes of first-time travellers, like I was a serial-killer-stalker-madwoman looking for innocent college students to toss into the misty, tourist-free abyss. "Oh, hello," they said hesitantly.

I didn't want to tell them that the reason I recognized them wasn't that I was a serial-killer-stalker-madwoman looking for innocent college students to toss into the misty abyss, but it was because of their matching J Lo-inspired sweatsuits and oversized suitcases that they were sporting at the Sydney airport. So, in true anti-stalker form, I waved goodbye at them and made my way down the Giant Stairway (promptly sliding down five slippery stairs and landing smack on my bony bottom; but my ability to make a fool out of myself in foreign countries....well, that's another post entirely).

5 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

don't even get me started on my obsession to find the perfect meat pie

Wow - you've almost passed the citizenship test for Australia! Next part of the test: eating Vegemite, followed by a quick game of backyard cricket, and then you'll be considered one of us! ;-)

I'm glad you're having a fabulous time, even if you are stalking innocent, young American tourists!!

12:51 AM  
Blogger Y said...

Such a graceful exit! LOL!

10:58 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

LOL....You were just curious if they'd lend you one of their extra J-Lo sweatsuits, weren't you? ;)

Thanks for the update!

1:28 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Oh, I've loved meat pies (and vegemite) for some time now. That was part of my reason for planning this trip!

More updates to come, but this is costing me a fortune!

12:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're having fun, and it's so great the you and Julia got to meet in person, amazing.

When I was in Rome with my family years ago, there were hardly any restaurants open for Christmas dinner, so we were in there with two other American families. I ended up seeing both families in Florence and Venice in the folowwing days. And I too recognized them becuase of their "american" outfits :)

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home