Thursday, March 16, 2006

Weekly Confession

When I first saw Closer in the theater, I thought it was pretentious and contrived and overrated.

Then, a few days ago, when Damien Rice's "The Blower's Daughter" wouldn't leave my brain, I realized that I'm a bit pretentious and maybe even sometimes contrived (but never overrated) and so I bought the movie. And have watched it twice so far this week.
And so it is
Just like you said it would be
Life goes easy on me
Most of the time
And so it is
The shorter story
No love, no glory
No hero in her sky

Oh and P.S.: I still think Closer is pretentious and contrived and overrated. But that doesn't mean I don't like it. Just a little.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I had the same reaction to Closer when I saw it. Now I'm curious to see what my reaction would be if I watched it again. Good thoughts.

And I love that Damien Rice song.

10:23 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Well, most people I know did like it -- and are a bit surprised that I didn't like it since it's apparently an intellectual story about relationships. It does grow on you, though.

The song is still the best part.

10:36 AM  
Blogger chimera said...

Ah, but Clive Owen... I will watch him in anything, no matter how contrived or pretentious or overrated... I even intend to see Derailed, even though the reviews are baaaaaad.

Anyway, I enjoyed Closer. Didn't find it believable for a second, but enjoyed it all the same.

12:01 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Clive was the best thing in it! He was so sympathetic but also so disgusting.

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home