Monday, April 17, 2006

An excellent welcome back


Last night, a big group of friends and I went to the Berkeley Rep Theater and saw Rita Moreno (Yes, THE RITA MORENO!!!) in Tennessee Williams's The Glass Menagerie. Okay, we all know that Williams is my favorite playwright, but RITA MORENO!!!!! The woman is brilliant. (I'd seen her before in 2004's Master Class as Maria Callas, perhaps one of the finest live performances I've ever seen.) In fact, the entire cast is brilliant. Williams's words, of course, are timeless; the staging was subtle and elegant; the themes of fragile illusions shattered by the fist of harsh reality are universal. By the end of the evening, I was literally trembling in my seat, too moved to even cry.

There is nothing as amazing as good live theater.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous! I missed my chance to see Rita Moreno while living in Berkeley. Glad you had such a splendid time.

8:47 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

She's amazing -- such stage presence and grace but not in an upstaging sort of way.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home