Monday, January 30, 2006

Who's yer Jesse?


After an intense e-mail exchange about Before Sunset with the delightful Julia yesterday afternoon, I haven't been able to shake the thoughts of my Jesses. I have three Jesses: One from when I was too young to realize what a Jesse is; the second a stepping-stone in ending a painful relationship; and the third -- and probably the most Jesse of them all -- the most intense love affair I have ever had. Unfortunately, we kept on too long, and I was left broken hearted when he left me to go back to his ex-girlfriend, a woman he had no passion for but who offered his life stability and safety.

I must confess. Years later, I still think of him. I still think of all of them, sometimes waking up empty, feeling like I've just had a dream I can't remember but know was about one of them. In moments like these, I feel my life is missing something, like I should know where they are, who they are, what they are doing.

Of course, in this world of the internet, finding my Jesses is always a possibility. Just type "Jesse" into Google, and there he is. Though I'm far too chicken to do anything beyond that. I wonder if Celine and Jesse would have Googled each other, wonder if they would have found each other and taken the chance on love?

Is it even possible, outside of the movies?

3 Comments:

Blogger Parisjasmal said...

Oh how I love this movie. Oh how I love Ethan Hawke. The dirty, gaunt, stubble faced, stinking of stale cigarettes, clothes not matching Ethan Hawke.

That movie is so very romantic.
I have a couple of Jesse's, but they are only faded memories.

This was a lovely post.

2:43 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I forgot to tell you - because of the ending the film was rejected by all but one studio; they all felt it was too ambiguous.

Thank goodness Warner Bros Independent felt otherwise and left the script alone.

4:21 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I love Ethan, too. Something to do with the Gen X factor, of course. I just can't let go of those dirty boys.

Julia -- thank goodness they kept it! I can't imagine the ending any other way. Ambiguity is the core of a good story.

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home