Monday, October 24, 2005

Birthday Weekend, Part Deux

Saturday. I tossed and turned a bit all night, but managed to get some work done in the afternoon.

But the big treat for the night was a gala party at the newly-redone De Young Museum. I went with my artist friend, A (more on her in Part Three) who I met last summer on a kayaking trip. We didn't spend much time looking at the art (though going to a museum with such a brilliant artist has its advantages; it was like my own little private tour!) What we did do was eat and drink (we paid for it, so we might as well fill our plates and glasses four times, right?) and check out the fashion.

Okay, let me just say that I was a bit surprised by the fashion. Or should I say, LACK OF FASHION???? Women wearing poorly-fitting dresses: boobs about ready to pop out, tight dresses with the WRONG UNDERGARMENTS (always a fashion don't). Ladies, let me reiterate that FIT is everything with clothing. It could be the most expensive Gucci gown and it will look worse than a $29.99 Target cocktail dress if it doesn't fit.

And the shoes. What on earth? Floaty white dresses with black, clunky shoes. Open-toed sandals with black stockings (I'm talking on 25-year-old women, not grannies). Boots that resembled UGG knockoffs.

The museum was divine. The fashion, well, it gave me nightmares!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

And for the Most Important Question: What did you end up wearing?

10:08 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

This cream-colored silk Trina Turk dress with a black and tan leafy-swirly pattern (it's pretty funky, and I love it). It has a very assymetrical hemline (sort of jagged and two layers of skirt) and is fitted throughout but very flowy (it's the same dress that Toni Collette wears to a wedding in "In Her Shoes"). And my cherished black, open-toed Manolos.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

"Floaty white dresses with black, clunky shoes. Open-toed sandals with black stockings."

Nightmare, indeed! Why is it so hard for people to get it right?

3:09 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I know. It is so odd to me. It's pretty simple.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home