Monday, October 23, 2006

I Hate Mondays

Though I suppose that's stating the obvious, isn't it?

I'm finding the commute to and from work to be very stressful, exhausting, horrible, and I'm contemplating moving closer to my job. The problem? I live in one of the greatest cities in the world and work in the armpit of the universe. (How is it possible that such a dreadful city can be so close to San Francisco?) There's a condo for sale (yes, you read that right: FOR SALE) in D's building that is within walking (again, you read that right) distance of my job, but even so....do I want to live there?

I'm back and forth with it, but then today, I had car trouble and it took me over two hours to get home. Uggh. And my car is still stuck over by my workplace which means tomorrow it will take over two hours to get to work. (If I'm lucky, my car will be ready then, otherwise I won't get home until midnight.)

So I've spent the evening searching for condo listings in hip parts of Oakland. Watch this space.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

The long commute does get to you after a while (and you've been doing it for a long while too!). My job back in Brisbane had a minimum 45 minute commute each way (assuming there was no traffic - some times, it was a 2 hour commute each way, which just about killed me).

I guess one of the other factors you have to consider (aside from the "moving from a cool city to a cultural wasteland" element) is how important it is to you to own your own apartment. Will you ever be able to afford buying in SF?

12:23 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

PS: Happy birthday for the 21st - I hope that you had a fantastic day!

12:24 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

The likelihood of buying in SF on a single income is pretty slim. Were I lucky, I could perhaps find a 1 bedroom apartment for under $500,000. Definitely not in my price range. But if I can find something I can afford and it cuts my commute....yippee. Parts of Oakland are quite fun, actually, so we'll see the quality of the apartments.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home