Friday, February 17, 2006

OUTRAGED!

I know My Muse tends to border on the light and fluffy, but when I came upon this story, I had to get it out there because if I don't, it will be globally forgotten. Ignored. (Full article here)

ROME, Italy (Reuters) -- Sexually abusing a teenager is less serious a crime if the girl is not a virgin, Italy's higher court said on Friday in a controversial ruling that immediately drew a barrage of criticism.


I volunteered for two years as a crisis counselor for rape survivors and this makes me so angry that I can't even find the words. We -- both men and women, worldwide -- should be outraged.

We should be pissed.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theresa, that is truly horrifying. Thanks for bringing the story to our attention.

4:31 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Well, if we didn't bring it to each other's attention, we probably wouldn't know about it! We've come so far, yet still there's so far to go.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Ditto. It equally breaks my heart and outrages me like nothing else.

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap. This is the same country that, while I was living there in 1998-99, ruled that a woman could not have possibly been raped, but instead had consesual sex, because she was wearing jeans. And "everybody knows that jeans are too difficult for someonse else to remove." This latest ruling is digusting, thanks for bringing it to light.

12:05 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Yeah, I read about the jeans thing, too. Horrifying. Though sadly, not an isolated incident.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Further to SL's comment we had a similar story a few years ago, with the judge focusing on how short the victim's skirt was. We do still have a long way to go.

4:46 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Well, it's sad, but things like this aren't that foreign in the States either.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home