Thursday, February 16, 2006

What's more perfect than soup?

I'm not too much of a cook, but I love to make soup. Here's the latest: White Bean Soup from Epicurious. This was quick in comparison to some soups I've made and very easy. I didn't follow the recipe too exactly (who needs to? it's soup) as I didn't have celery or bacon and can't be bothered to measure ingredients. And it's a little thin; next time I'll cut back on the chicken stock. But it's damn tasty, especially with a nice drizzle of truffle oil. (Make sure you blend, baby, blend!)

WHITE BEAN SOUP

2 cups dried Great Northern beans
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup chopped leek (white and pale green parts only)
1 large tomato, seeded, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
8 garlic cloves, chopped
3 bacon slices, chopped
10 1/2 cups (or more) chicken stock or canned low-salt chicken broth
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary

1/2 cup whipping cream
White truffle oil (optional)
Place beans in heavy large pot. Add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. Soak overnight. Drain beans.

Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, leek, tomato, carrots, celery, garlic and bacon and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 6 minutes. Add beans, 10 1/2 cups chicken stock, chopped thyme and rosemary. Bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until beans are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour.

Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth. Return soup to pot. Add 1/2 cup whipping cream. Add more chicken stock by 1/4 cupfuls to thin soup, if desired. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into 8 bowls. Lightly drizzle top of each with white truffle oil, if desired.

Bon Appétit
March 2000

5 Comments:

Blogger TessaJ said...

I think it would have been even better with bacon (most things are, aren't they?)

I halved the recipe and it made enough for three good-sized servings.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Feeling any better today?

That soup sounds delicious. I'm going to try it with veggie broth.

12:11 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Feeling a lot more drippy today and stiff (I hate trying to sleep with a cold). But I'm going to lunch and a movie, so will be taking it easy this afternoon.

I was going to say that I think it's easily fixable for a veggie (I have a great white bean/couscous soup that I should share with you).

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds sensational. Thanks for the recipe.

4:46 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Now it's onto the next soup (I have one serving left in the freezer, but want to try something new).

11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home