Wednesday, December 14, 2005

This Week...

...is all about the Golden Globe nominations!!! Every year, my friend D and I, faithfully count down the days first to the Golden Globes and then (more importantly) to the Oscars. The Golden Globes are our awards show foreplay. And every year, he and I try and go to see as many movies as we can that have been nominated. The three at the top of the list are:

Brokeback Mountain. I have heard nothing but raves about this movie. Heath Ledger (along with Michelle Williams) got the nomination, but I can't wait to see Jake Gyllenhal in such a role. D says that all the reviews he's read aren't calling it a "gay movie" but simply a love story. It's about time. I'm planning on seeing it tonight, so will report back my review.


Capote. I have long been a fan of Phillip Seymour Hoffman (about time he gets his recognition) and even longer been a fan of Truman Capote. In Cold Blood was one of the first books I read that truly moved me and made me aware of the sublime power that is storytelling. Apparently, there have been two movies made this year on T. Capote, but the other one has been backburnered for its release to avoid the competition with this one. I can't wait. Even without having seen it, I want him to with the Oscar.


Transamerica. Oddly, this doesn't seem to be showing anywhere in the San Francisco area at the moment. Felicity Huffman plays a pre-op male-to-female transsexual. It's a comedy, and very much seems to be my kind of movie. I loathe Desperate Housewives but love her.

(All images from IMDB)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear what you think of Brokeback Mountain. I'm desperate to see Capote too. Philip Seymour Hoffman is just brilliant.

1:23 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I'm seeing Capote on Sunday, I hope. So I'll let you know about that, too.

1:25 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I can't remember a time when there was this many must-watch movies out. I think I have to see at least one a week so must make a movie date night and stick to it.

Always loved your thing of seeing all the Oscar contenders!

5:54 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Brokeback Mountain was sold out, so I saw Good Night, Good Luck....

It is my thing to see as many as I can; good thing this is a good movie year!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home