Monday, January 02, 2006

Holiday Update

Funny how different life is when I spend a few days with my brother and his family. Simple. Quiet. Domestic. Surburban. I spent the week playing "pretend" with my nieces (5 & &) and eating pre-packaged, chemically-enhanced, easy-to-make meals; we didn't go out to dinners in quirky, out-of-the way restaurants; we didn't dash out the front door to explore hidden bars, cafes, or shops.

As I arrived pretty late on Christmas Night, and my mom arrived even later, the 6 of us (brother, sister-in-law, nieces, Mom, me) had Christmas Part Deux on the 26th. It was a pretty mellow affair, and just lovely. Nothing fancy beyond a traditional American dinner followed by a viewing of Little House of the Prairie (the DVD I bought for my Little House-obsessed nieces; the girls have great taste!) followed by early sleep. The rest of the week found me and the girls playing downstairs (for downstairs is always better than upstairs) and the family eating Christmas Dinner Part Trois and Quatre (before, sadly, even the mashed potatoes became beyond unappetizing).

Christmas Present Highlights:

Money. Thank heavens.

These two-tone Chuck Taylors (the greatest shoes ever invented).

An adorable little piggy from Julia. And a fashionable book. And Tim Tams to fuel my addiction.

Champagne and chocolate from friends who know me too well!

A too-big t-shirt from the legendary Traverse City eatery: Don's Drive In. (Am looking for suggestions for how to alter t-shirt).

Finally, quite possibly the funniest and most adorable gift I have ever received (from my neices): An autographed copy of a picture of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood's, Mr. McFeely, addressed to "Aunt Theresa." I'll hang it in my entryway and cherish it (and my nieces) always.




I don't think it's a kind of life I want to live. I love the high of my big city living. But for a few days, it was perfect to step away from the chaotic, rushed, always-on-the go life that I live in San Francisco.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

It's nice to be able to spend time with family, especially nieces and nephews - they grow up so fast and they're just so precious. It's also nice to spend time somewhere else - even better when it makes you appreciate your own life and home that much more!

11:17 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

That's how I feel, too. And sometimes, usually after playing "chase Aunt Theresa around the sofa" for 20 minutes, I'll catch myself thinking: San Francisco? What's that???

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home