Saturday, April 22, 2006

Sleeper Hit -- My Date With Drew

It's been kind of a stressful week (that's the short story) and I've been feeling kind of anti-social, probably because things have been so crazy with travel and life and are about to be crazy again with travel and life (and travel and life with my mother). So last night, I stopped by Blockbuster and saw, My Date With Drew on sale for only $4.99!

Of course I bought it.

I so love this movie. Brian Herzlinger is a guy who has had a crush on Drew Barrymore (who wouldn't) since the second grade, and when he wins $1,100 on a game show, he decides to make a documentary (along with some help from his friends) about an ordinary guy who tries to get a date with Drew Barrymore. You might think that he's a bit of a stalker, but that isn't the case at all. He is a nice and sincere man who is simply trying to take a risk to get to his dream. Which is, of course, quite a Drew Barrymore thing to do. The movie opens with a quote from Drew: If you don't take risks, you'll have a wasted soul, and in all honesty, I don't think the movie would work were it any other actress.

If you haven't seen it, find it. If you want a cheap copy, I can see if Blockbuster has any more for sale. It's one of those feel-good movies that feels good for a lot of good reasons: It's funny and honest and sad and reveals so much about passion and celebrity and ultimately, about being human. Check out Brian's website for more! (And no, I'm not going to tell you the "secret" ending. Oooohhh...does he get the date? or not?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home