Friday, January 20, 2006

It sounded like a good idea at the time...

This weekend's project? Paint.

More specifically: Paint my bathroom. My plan is to re-paint my apartment over the next few months, and I thought that it would be easier to start with the smallest room. Makes sense, right?

Ha! I forgot that there's a sink, toilet, and bathtub that, even at 5'10", I can't seem to reach over. I can use one of those paint arm extension thingies (a technical term, I'm sure), but I have to tape where I don't want to paint or it'll be a painting disaster. (Damn these Victorians and their fabulous wood detailing.)

How am I going to get a ladder in the bathtub without breaking my neck?

(My colors are at Ralph Lauren Home -- Light Orchid and Bright Amethyst -- couldn't get the color swatches to show up. Of course the only colors I really liked were the most expensive. Kinda like shoes.)

10 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Oh, great color choices.

Painting? That's when you invite tall and limber neighbors over. You provide the booze, they provide the help. You can supervise or just keep the snacks and drinks coming. Easy, really.

12:31 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

LOL! Good suggestion. I've thought about that, but honestly I'm about as tall and limber as anyone I know! (I do have a short and brave friend coming over tomorrow, if for nothing else, to call the hospital (and feed the dog) when I fall off the ladder!)

1:28 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you, but you never know who people have for friends!
Good luck tomorrow.

1:31 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Well, there's no going back now! I have about 2/3 of the primer on the walls (no, none of the tricky spots yet....that'll be for tomorrow).

4:55 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Wow - that is exciting! New paint can make such a big difference.

Of course, I really, really want to see photos when the room is completed, but I can't remember if you have a digital camera.

Have you decided what colours to do the rest of your apartment? (or will the motivation to paint wear off by the time the bathroom is done?)

7:03 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I don't have a digital camera (I forgot that you've been in my bathroom!) but can take some pics and bring them to Oz with me.

I'm thinking of a very very very light pink (almost white) for the living room and entryway and then a dark red trim (on the built-ins and woodwork). Then maybe a light plum with wheat trim in the bedroom (or the reverse). Haven't decided about the kitchen.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

All the colours sound gorgeous!

Painting sounds like fun in theory but my short attention span tells me not to attempt these things, so I'm very proud of you. Have you got a bottle of something special to treat yourself with when it's all done?

3:53 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Will probably get some champagne and new candles for a nice bubble bath when it's all done. Am almost finished now, but I'm thinking of doing a third accent color -- maybe a lemon which would pull in the gold flecks in the tile (it sounds odd, but it looks good next to the purple, especially if it's just in a few spots).

4:07 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

Sounds even more gorgeous! And I want to see photos too - leave some space in your luggage for one big fat photo album!

4:27 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

I'm going to try and borrow a friend's digital camera, but remind me to pack photos (I have about 20 rolls of film I need to develop). There's so much for you to see!

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home