Monday, May 01, 2006

Dear Manolo Blahnik

Dear Señor Blahnik,

With all due respect, I must admit I am filled with sorrow because of you. As reported earlier, it should have become clear to you that one of my main stops in Madrid (my first stop, actually, my Mecca) was to your outlet. So this morning, full of jetlag but still the excitement that only a well-crafted pair of zapatos can bring a gal like me, I headed out, on foot, in search of Serrano, 58. I got lost, twice in fact, and was almost reduced to tears when I couldn´t figure the way out of the complex Metro system.

And then I realized -- shockingly, horrifyingly -- that my shoe Mecca was not to be. You were closed. In fact, the entire city appeared to be closed. Yes, I realize that it´s not necessarily your fault, dear Señor Blahnik. I realize that you do not have control over the nation´s calendar, in spite of the profound and lasting impact you have on women´s feet worldwide.

Perhaps it was some national holiday that nobody seemed willing to inform me about. Perhaps the store clerks closed the doors when they saw me coming, when they realized that even heavily-discounted Manolos (I´m assuming they were heavily discounted, anyway) are probably too costly for this lowly teacher´s pocketbook. Or perhaps it was simply the fates of zapatos telling me that it will have to be another day before I can find the perfect pair of you.

Either way, you are still in my heart, Señor.

Until then, adios,

Senorita Theresa

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA! Great post. That used to happen to me all the time in Italy. Like I was the only one in the country who didn't get the memo that it was a nat'l holiday. Better luck tomorrow!! :)

2:36 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Oh no! I was so looking forward to your shoe post too! Very disappointing...

6:30 PM  
Blogger Parisjasmal said...

DAMN THE BANK HOLIDAYS! This very thing happened to me twice...once in London and once in Ireland.

Last week I had a torrid love affair with Senor Manolo in Vegas. It was short yet passionate and I will always have the memories and the shoes..SWEET JESUS THE SHOES!

I hope you are having a wonderful time!

12:57 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Well, it got worse. Tuesday was a holiday as well! That´s three days in a row that the shops were closed. Were I not in Spain, I´d be most upset (but I can forgive a plethora of national holidays -- for whatever reason -- when I´m in Spain!)

8:02 AM  
Blogger la femme said...

Oh, that is awful. Better luck next time!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Oh my goodness. Where are the Shopping Gods? Prolly on holiday too.

7:53 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

The shopping updates continue -- I bought this adorable top in Madrid on my last day, and the salesgal didn´t remove the security tag! So I have to figure out how to get it off without ruining the top in the process...

6:32 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Hi, I'm a spanish girl writting from Spain. The 1st of May is our Labour Day. And the 2nd of May is Madrid's day. It's a little like a little Spring Break after Easter and before summer holidays.

I usually search for foreign people blogs that talk about Spain and check out how they see us abroad.

Grettings!

9:54 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Hi Jackie! Thanks for the comment! I did find out about the holidays after the fact, so all is good. My travels are about over here, but the people in Spain have been so amazing, probably my greatest memory of the trip!

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home