Friday, September 08, 2006

Two months in the world of on-line dating

2 months ago: Cute guy views your profile

1 1/2 months ago: Cute guy "hotlists" you

1 months ago: Cute guy "winks" at you

29 days ago: You wink back

15 days ago: Cute guy sends first e-mail, apologizing for taking so long, but he's been out of town

13 days ago: You e-mail back

10 days ago: Cute guy sends second e-mail

9 days ago: You e-mail back

9 days ago: Cute guy sends third e-mail

7 days ago: You e-mail back, cute guy e-mails back, you e-mail back

6 days ago: Cute guy e-mails, asking you for coffee

5 days ago: You e-mail back, saying that this week is busy, how about next week?

As of today: Nothing

Why on earth is this so difficult? I mean, all of this time and energy is all for ONE DATE that probably won't happen. With someone I've never met. With someone who isn't all that exciting to begin with. (Well, he's more exciting than the 55 year olds living in Florida who like to e-mail me.) Seriously, I'm starting to think that arranged marriages aren't that bad of an idea.

12 Comments:

Blogger Jules said...

Urgh. That is a ridiculously long and drawn out process just for coffee with someone you've never met before.

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why don't you exchange numbers so it'll be easier to contact? Be hopeful!

11:45 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

It's not the difficulty with being able to contact that's the problem; it's the general flakiness and tediousness and exhaustion of the whole process (plus, I'm not comfortable giving out my home number to someone I don't even know). It's been three years since I've first tried on-line dating, and no matter how hopeful I try and be, I always find it frustrating in the end.

1:15 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

That is frustrating. But surely you must have dozens of kisses being sent to you so you can try someone else less flakey?

Also, maybe you could get a pre-paid cell phone that you can use just for this? After I met my first psycho it was suggested to me and I thought it's a pretty good idea, as googling my actual mobile number leads to my business and full name. But in general I like to talk or arrange a coffee by the second/third email - any more and I start to think they're not serious.

9:02 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Sadly, being around for three years, I'm now "old meat" and pretty much everyone who winks at me has winked at me at least once or twice before. Think it's time to move past on-line dating.

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally understand the tediousness and exhaustion you're referring to. I have this thing with an online guy for more than 3 years now and still nothing comes out of it. We're pretty much friends now, only that we've never met in real life.

All of us are waiting for the chance meeting with love but will it happen at all? Whatever it is, good luck to your love life and update us when it happens! (:

8:29 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Three years? Wow!

Well, on the positive side, a friend told me that I should start a dating blog -- apparently, my experiences are just too good to not share with the world. (I'm assuming that's a compliment?)

10:33 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Okay, Julia! I bought a cell phone!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Julia said...

Yes! A dating blog! That would be great fun. Tell you what, I'll even help you design a cute banner.

7:28 PM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

Unfortunately, there would be a lack of posts! (Though perhaps having a dating blog would inspire me to plod through the dating process....)

9:44 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Dating blog sounds fantastic.
And if nothing else, it would be good for your writing?
Sorry, that makes the process sound so tedious! Hopefully it would just be lots of fun.

7:23 AM  
Blogger TessaJ said...

karen -- I'll just keep saying that to myself: It's all about the writing; it's all about the writing; all about the writing; writing.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home